- Why are we here
- Who are our primary stakeholders?
- Periphery stakeholders? – other flooded areas
- What are our motivators? - What are we hoping to achieve?
- Do we have any limitations/restraints? Who can stop us achieving our objectives?
- Influencers? – who can we get help from
- Do we have any deadlines/milestones?
- Defined Objectives/Mission/Motto – succinct vision
- Declaration of interest
- Create a legitimate status for group:
- formal constitution (funding bodies require this) – will provide examples
- committee – Chair, Secretary, Treasurer + others to make quorum easier to achieve (PR, vice chair, recruitment/fundraising/partnership maybe)
- quorum – half plus 1 is normal
- how many formal meetings – minimum quarterly? The committee can call others if the quorum can be achieved
- working group structure
- identify working groups & chairs
- identifying gaps between objectives and working groups & plugging if possible
- group communication & process
- process for reporting
- group meetings
- process for application for funding
- Addressing visibility & engagement
- Glenn’s branding ideas
- Engaging our stakeholders & beyond - website, facebook, press, newsletter, leaflets
We held a brainstorming session to help the group determine impacts of the flood and who are the stakeholders to the group. This was a very useful
and fast paced splurge of ideas all of which are documented in the Appendices at the end of this document .
We followed on from the brainstorming session with a discussion about setting a legitimate structure for the group. The big decision was whether to
set up the group as an unincorporated group with a constitution or a group with charitable status. It was felt that the charitable stat us option may be
the better option as it offers a level of protection regarding personal liability for the board members . It may also hold greater legitimacy. The decision
was taken to form the group as an incorporated group to get the ball rolling with the intention of moving to charitable statu s.
It was decided that the group would create 5 posts initially. All posts were nominat ed and seconded.
- Chairperson: Steve Gibbs
- Treasurer: Susan Kellock
- Secretary: Diane Bryant
- Vice Chair: John Kelsall
- PR Officer: Glenn Patterson – as Glenn was not available this post will need to be confirmed at the next meeting
- AF & SK to look into advantages of charitable status.
- DB to look into legal requirements of charitable status
- DB to draft a constitution for approval at next meeting
- SK to talk to the Cumberland Building Society to set up a bank account.
It was decided that the group be sub divided into 5 working groups.
- Visionary Group - Chair: John Kelsall
- Protest Group – Chair: Bev Branch - TBC
- Business Group – Chair: Geoff Mackay
- Land Management & Rural – Helen Forrester - TBC
- Operational & Tactical – TBC
- SG to confirm with BB Chair of Protest group
- SG to confirm with HF Chair of Land Management group
- SG/JK to come up with strong Mission statement and clear objectives for next meeting
Glenn had provided some examples of branding logos and newsletter for the group. Overall consensus was that the branding was very clear, simple and strong. Perfect for the groups identity. There was a feeling from some members that the logo should include the words Carlisle & District to provide a better sense of inclusion with areas outside of the city. Although it was also pointed out that this then becomes too much of a mouthful. It was decided that we should go ahead with the Carlisle Flood Action Group on the logo but wherever possible include a strapline for Carlisle & District.
- DB to create website based on agreed branding
- GP to cost up branding materials
- Other Business
It was agreed that a public meeting should be arranged in the next few weeks to allow the group to engage with the community again and give us the chance to update everybody on what is going on behind the scenes. Representatives from the authorities will not be allowed to speak but an open invitation to join the audience will be issued.
- SG to arrange meeting with Crown & Mitre
- All – any points for inclusion in meeting to be forwarded to SG